Tuesday 23 March 2010

A life

Jhenya is 22 years old. He grew up in an orphanage and is now homeless. He has spent the past few years just traveling around Russia city to city. He has been to over one hundred and forty cities.
He was watching us serve tea to our "regular" homeless with curiosity, I offered him tea and he wanted to talk. I quickly told him we needed a translator... then the conversation continued. He was very "open" or it seemed he was. One really can not tell if he was lying or not. He kept asking for help. I shared with him that we can give the most help as we continue to build relationship with him. I told him to come and see us, to hang out with us as we walk the streets. He agreed and we set up another time that we would be there so he could be there as well.... I was surprised when he showed up... not on time but he did come. And he came the next time... we went out for lunch with him... I saw him one more time after that in the bus station (his home). We were short on time and so we invited him to come and spend Sunday with us... go to church in the afternoon and to eat with us... he never showed up.
I left a couple days later to Finland. While I was gone Ruth heard that he left town.
I wonder where Jhenya is now...
While we were with him we met another young man who also lives like Jhenya does... traveling from one place to another, just doing whatever comes there way.
How many more young people are out there living like that?
How can we help young people like him?

Maybe one day I will have the privilege of meeting Jhenya again. BUT overall I pray that God will open up the doors to meet more of these young people and open up the doors to see them come off the streets. Maybe I will have the privilege of being involved in that... or maybe you will...

No comments:

Post a Comment